I’ve been talking a lot about fashion on Fashion Fridays, but one thing to keep in mind is makeup. You can dress in the best clothes on the planet, but if you don’t take time on the makeup (and hair…to be discussed later), the whole package looks unpolished.
Does this mean I think you have to wear a lot of makeup?
Did you hear me? I said no.
However, a little polish never hurt. And, you can wear makeup and look very natural.
I wear foundation every day with SPF in it. I swear it’s what has helped keep my skin from aging. The foundation protects my skin and it evens out blotchy areas, such as rosacea or sun spots—even the littlest ones. In fact, as we age, it’s better to wear less makeup to keep us from looking like Tammy Faye Baker used to look.
Here’s my list of the top 7 beauty products I can’t live without:
1. A good moisturizer. Wearing a moisturizer at night and/or under your foundation can help hydrate your skin. I used to spend hundreds of dollars on expensive name brand cosmetics, but then Target came along. Target carries my new favorite line of products—Boots. I use the Boots Botanics Nourishing Night Cream at night. I have had estheticians tell me that my skin looks great for a person of my age. I swear it’s because I’ve protected my skin for years.
2. Foundation. I’ve already told you I wear a foundation every day—it smooths out my skin. I’ve been wearing foundation since my late teenage years. Again, I like the Stay Perfect Foundation by Boots.
3. Bronzer. Wearing the right bronzer can add a little glow to the skin. Works miracles and wakes up your face.
4. Illuminating lotion. Ever wonder how Sarah Jessica Parker and other celebrities get that dewy look on their faces? That fresh look? It’s called illuminating lotion. Place a little bit under the eyes and across the cheekbone, a little spot in the middle of your forehead, and a little dab on the chin, and voila! Instant dewiness.
5. Mascara. I’m a fan of mascara. If you wear nothing but foundation & bronzer, mascara will finish off the job. Mascara helps bring your eyes to life. I love Covergirl’s Lash Blast Volume. It makes the lashes look lush and long.
6. . A brow pencil. I had a makeup artist once tell me that if the brows look good, the rest of the face looks good, as well. Brows can frame the face. I use Chanel’s Crayon Sourcils Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil and love the way it glides on. It looks very natural.
7.Lip Gloss or Lipstick. I love lipstick. Some people hate it. If you dislike it, wear lip gloss; if you love it, play with color. Lipstick doesn’t have to be fire-engine red; there are many nudes that can enhance your look. Mac cosmetics make nice lipsticks and glosses.
Hope this list helps. If there’s something I’ve missed that you can’t do without, let me know.